Awards and Scholarships
Scholarships – Apply by February 4, 2019
Travel Incentive Program
This program was prepared to encourage student involvement in the section, providing service to the section and facilitate equity/accountability in distribution of travel funds to students. This program was reviewed and approved by the GLS-IFT executive board. The goals and criteria of the program are outlined below.
Foster student involvement in section activities and have students provide service to the section.
- Business meetings–meet/greet/registration
- Suppliers’ Day–registration/setup/takedown
- Awards Night/Student seminar
- Other events as needed
Travel Form: Student Travel Application form is available here. Please email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. by May 1, 2019, to be considered for funding to the Annual Meeting + Food Expo.
- Student Volunteers — Students must participate in at least 2 different activities to be eligible for travel funding of $250. If the student is also competing or presenting at the meeting, they are eligible for $350. Students at Michigan State University, Central Michigan and Wayne State have the opportunity to sign up for particular activities throughout the school year.
- Student Representative — Student representative would work with exec board members (especially chair elect and secretary) to coordinate/facilitate/supervise/verify student participation in events. The Student Rep would assure that student volunteers meet responsibilities and commitments to the section or find suitable replacements as needed. Compensation will be approximately $350 per year to be used for IFT travel.
Student Scholarship Program
Scholarship applications are due each February for the following year, and are awarded at the Spring Dinner and Student Awards Night in March.
Scholarships available include:
- Undergraduate Achievement Award – $1000 Award
- Clifford L Bedford Scholarship – $1000 Award
- Master of Science Achievement Scholarship – $1000 Awards
- Ph.D Achievement Scholarship – $1000 Awards.
- Great Lakes Section Diversity Scholarship – $1000 Award
- Great Lakes Section Active Student Member Scholarship – $1000 Award
There are a number of programs in place providing students with scholarships, awards, incentives and opportunities, including:
- Participation in the Institute of Food Technologists, Great Lakes Section
- Involvement with IFTSA (Institute of Food Technologists Student Association)
- Great Lakes Section, IFT Scholarships and Awards
- Student Travel Incentives
Student members have opportunities to participate in IFTSA activities such as College Bowl, Product Development, Chapter of the Year and research paper competitions. Students also have the chance to apply for national IFT scholarships/fellowships. Michigan State University actively participates in the Product Development team, College Bowl and Chapter of the Year, and have student representatives in IFTSA. Please contact Dr. Janice Harte (email@example.com) about the Product Development team and Dr. Kirk Dolan about the College Bowl Team.