Specialist – Teacher-Fixed Term
Job no: 694650
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Department: Agricultural Technology Institute 10002042
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Administrative/Business/Professional, Agriculture, Education/Training, Union
Mobile Lab Manager and Instructor
This position will be responsible for teaching coursework for the IAT Food Processing, Technology and Safety Certificate Program located at Michigan State University (MSU) and at IAT community college partners. Additional responsibilities will include maintenance and coordination of the food processing mobile lab.
- Hands-on teaching of courses in food processing as needed by the program.
- Operation, maintenance, and coordination of mobile processing lab with travel to partner locations. (Transportation of mobile unit will be contracted with a professional trucking company)
- Integration of mobile lab into the Food Processing, Technology, and Safety certificate curriculum.
- Fostering working relationships with the food processing industry, community college partners, local high schools, and teachers.
- Working closely with appropriate departments to ensure program delivery and development.
- Assisting in assessment of program and curriculum student learning outcomes.
- Assisting with the on-campus Fruit and Vegetable Processing Plant over the summer as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Bachelors -Bachelor of Sciences
Masters -Masters in related field
Bachelor of Science in Food Science, Food Processing, Bio-systems Engineering, Agricultural Management, or related fields plus at least 10 years of industry/teaching experience or equivalent. HACCP and/or PCQI or equivalent certification. Experience in food processing equipment operation and ability to conduct maintenance on equipment. Experience in teaching food processing, technology, and safety courses with an emphasis on hands-on learning. Working knowledge on how food processing equipment works to adequately teach students how each part of a specific piece of equipment functions. Willingness to travel with the mobile lab throughout Michigan as needed.
Master’s degree in related field with demonstrated experience in food processing/safety/business.
Required Application Materials
- Letter of Interest outlining how your background and experience align with the responsibilities for this position.
- Statement on your teaching philosophy as it relates to hands-on teaching within this program.
- Summary of your experience supporting diversity, equity and inclusion in previous employment and a description of how you will contribute to our goals of inclusive excellence. CANR’s statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion can be found here; (https://www.canr.msu.edu/diversity/dei-statement)
- Statement on the candidate’s potential to operate, maintain, and coordinate a food grade mobile processing lab.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Resume’ /Curriculum Vita
All materials should be uploaded with the application. Questions may be directed to Clarence Rudat, Chair of the Search Committee (Rudatlca@msu.edu).
Review of Applications Begins On
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Mar 15, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Mar 15, 2023 Eastern Daylight Time