GLS-IFT Posting Date: 02/13/17
Food Scientist (R&D/QA)
Old Orchard Brands has an opportunity for a Food Scientist (R&D/QA) based at our corporate headquarters in Sparta, Michigan. Old Orchard Brands is a leading manufacturer of value added frozen and shelf stable juice drinks serving the retail grocery trade. Founded in 1985, Old Orchard has grown into one of the largest independently and privately owned juice producers in the U.S. delivering nearly 100 different products to a worldwide customer base.
The food scientists (R&D/QA) will work with the product development manager on developing and implementing new products, line extensions and current product enhancements. This position will involve working in both a laboratory and plant environment. The role will also include participation and contribution as a member of QA and cross-functional teams as assigned.
- Work with product development lead on all aspects of the product development process.
- Produce samples as needed for customers and sales / marketing team.
- Ensure product development timelines are met.
- Receive and log incoming and outgoing samples.
- Conduct sensory evaluations.
- Provide product information and technical support within the internal R&D / QA network and externally (e.g., sales, marketing, consumer relations, suppliers).
- Facilitate product development projects and ongoing product monitoring with the operations team.
- Establish raw material and finished product specifications and ensure procured materials and new products meet these specifications.
- Facilitate third party review and certification of new products (e.g., USDA Organic, etc).
- Work closely with procurement to source new and cost-effective ingredients, ensuring that these ingredients meet all approved supplier / ingredient requirements.
- Establish nutrition facts and product labeling information; research health and related claims and make recommendations to QA management; review and approve packaging, labels and related documentation.
- Order lab supplies and support general laboratory upkeep and organization, including maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment.
- Participate as a member of cross-functional QA teams and in other duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications Preferred: Minimum 2 years of experience in food product development or related field and/or internship in product development or other food related field
Skills: Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; excellent organizational skills; knowledge of product development, basic nutrition, equipment calibration, food and safety regulations and good manufacturing practices; highly motivated; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in food science or related field
Interested individuals should submit a resume and cover letter to Alissa Wesche firstname.lastname@example.org